[tor-talk] Illegal Activity As A Metric of Tor Security and Anonymity

Mark McCarron mark.mccarron at live.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 19:31:00 UTC 2014

Paul,

I was doing anonymous  socks proxy chaining long before Tor was around, so I am well versed in the issues.  I agree that it has been stated from the very outset that Tor was vulnerable to a global view.  With respect to hidden services, the key problem is that hidden services' and end user's traffic whilst encrypted can be correlated.  Thus, discovering the location of a hidden service becomes rather trivial as well as discovering an end user.

My main issue is that you guys know this.  Not only that, but you are well aware that this global view exists thanks to Snowden.  Further, it would have been incredibly stupid not to assume that intelligence agencies with billion dollar budgets, very little ethics and Internal security agreements (i.e NATO, UN, etc) would have such an infrastructure.  You need to see the networks in these nations not as being independent, but an interwoven system that all reports back to the US.

Eliminating this correlation attack is trivial.  The attack is dependent on having visibility at both ends.  One at the users end (perhaps ISP) and one near the hidden service (perhaps exchange).  It doesn't take much to match these two together (like multiple nations sharing intelligence data).  One simple attack is just to flood the hidden service with connections and note where traffic spikes.

So, the simple solution is to distribute hidden services within Tor, so that class of attack will fail.  There are no servers in a data center to expose because it is everywhere and no one can tell, just by examining the flow of encrypted packets, who was looking at what.

Now, I know there are a wide range of additional methods to expose users and the majority are beyond your direct control, but this type of attack is something within your control.

I hope you can see where the suspicion arises that this is a deliberate weakness and that being funded by the US military does not inspire confidence that your claims of ignorance are any more than US government propaganda.  Especially, when key aspects of your reply are little more than Fud.

Regards,

Mark McCarron