[tor-talk] Terminology: Deep v Dark Web

Luther Blissett lblissett at paranoici.org
Wed Jan 29 21:06:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 08:05 +1000, Katya Titov wrote:
> Nicolas Vigier:
> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2014, Katya Titov wrote:
> >
> >>   - Dark web:      Sites not accessible from the open Internet (Tor
> >>                    hidden services, I2P eepsites, etc)
> >
> > I don't know what is the exact definition of "open Internet", but I'm
> > not sure we should oppose that to Tor hidden services. The Tor hidden
> > services are accessed using the internet, and they also look very open
> > to me: anybody can access them if they know the address, using free
> > software, based on a protocol that is documented.
>
> Good point. I've change "open Internet" to "public Internet". I already
> had a note that the open Internet was "open to filtering/censorship by
> governments and ISPs" and I think that sits better with the term
> 'public Internet'.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> --
> kat

Both expressions are somehow misleading. What do you mean "open"? If you
mean "general public accessible", aka, "unrestricted internet", first
you have to consider that in most countries there is a fee attached to
internet access so it's not public in the same sense that streets are.

If you mean "well, accessible provided that you have access", then you
should consider that the internet is filtered to great lengths and so
there is no clear map of what is accessible till you try to connect.
Also, you should consider that the internet != web and that even if we
consider the web only, there are factors such as nameserver
completeness, websites that have private portions + public ones,
websites that require certain software & | hardware to provide ordinary
functionality.

Everything is done in the open and everything is interconnected, but
that does not mean there is no friction. Dark is the word westerns use
to refer to that which they do not comprehend. There is no dark and
there is no deep, the only ones who might think this way are those who
were captured by the .com web2.0 bullshit later 90s, early 00's. The
problem is they are the 99% as of nowadays.

--
010
001