[tor-talk] Vidalia has been replaced with Tor Launcher

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Jan 30 00:08:32 UTC 2014

On 1/29/2014 7:05 AM, Kristov Atlas wrote:
> Then the button should read "change exit node" and not "new identity", no?
>
>> On Jan 27, 2014, at 22:02, Michael Wolf <mikewolf53 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/26/2014 5:57 AM, Lunar wrote:
>>> Katya Titov:
>>> I need to point this out one more time: In the case of the latter,
>>> the browser content stays the same. All the browser content. Including
>>> cookies, history, and many other things that are used to fingerprint a
>>> browser session. This means that from the websites point of view,
>>> nothing changes except the IP address. You keep the same identity there.
>> Sometimes you don't actually want your "identity" to change, but you
>> want to move to a different exit node because there is a connection
>> issue between the exit node and the destination.  You're browsing, and
>> then your exit node changes after so many minutes... but the new exit
>> node could be overloaded so it drops half of the requests coming
>> through, or the exit node is banned (HTTP 403) on the site being
>> requested, or the exit node is misbehaving and modifying traffic, or...
>>
>> At this time, using Vidalia is the only way to change exit nodes without
>> losing all your tabs, or to see which exit node is misbehaving.  It
>> would be really useful to be able to change exit nodes without Vidalia,
>> even if this function is hidden somewhat.
>>
>> --
Playing devil's advocate - is it a good or not so good idea for users
1) not to be able to see their current (exit) node?  For Tor users in
certain countries, would it be the best choice to use nodes located in
their own countries or in ones suspected of being "cooperative" with
their countries?  Or nodes in specific other countries, depending on
your country & its working relationship with those other countries?

Or is using exit nodes in your own country or in countries that
regularly trade info with your country (many countries do), not
considered an issue - at all?

2) not to know the result of a new identity?  Given 1) - (can't see
nodes)..., then 2) seems a moot point.