[tor-talk] Vidalia has been replaced with Tor Launcher

Michael Wolf mikewolf53 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 03:02:38 UTC 2014

On 1/26/2014 5:57 AM, Lunar wrote:
> Katya Titov:
>> New Identity works from both TBB and Vidalia. The difference is that
>> from TBB the entire browser closes and restarts and you lose open tabs.
>> When choosing a new identity from Vidalia the browser remains open.
>
> I need to point this out one more time: In the case of the latter,
> the browser content stays the same. All the browser content. Including
> cookies, history, and many other things that are used to fingerprint a
> browser session. This means that from the websites point of view,
> nothing changes except the IP address. You keep the same identity there.

Sometimes you don't actually want your "identity" to change, but you
want to move to a different exit node because there is a connection
issue between the exit node and the destination.  You're browsing, and
then your exit node changes after so many minutes... but the new exit
node could be overloaded so it drops half of the requests coming
through, or the exit node is banned (HTTP 403) on the site being
requested, or the exit node is misbehaving and modifying traffic, or...

At this time, using Vidalia is the only way to change exit nodes without
losing all your tabs, or to see which exit node is misbehaving.  It
would be really useful to be able to change exit nodes without Vidalia,
even if this function is hidden somewhat.