[tor-talk] TBB 3.5 starts w/ size buttons hidden

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Jan 27 15:38:53 UTC 2014

On 1/27/2014 3:41 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Joe Btfsplk:
>> TBB 3.5 for Win is starting in half screen & the UI sizing buttons are
>> hidden because the TBB UI is shifted where the size buttons are off the
>> monitor.
>> So is most of the title bar, making it hard to drag the UI down to reach
>> buttons.  Once maximized, it fits fine on the monitor.
> Are you seeing https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10441 ?
>
> If so, then it might be interesting to understand why it is happening in
> your case (see comment 2 for an explanation for the failure on my
> testing machine). If there is a different explanation we need to add
> that one to https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9268 to take
> it into account for the Final Algorithm.
>
> Georg

Read the bug & comments.  On mine, the title bar isn't missing - it's
hidden (menu bar isn't checked to be displayed, by default) .
Hard to tell from the bug report attached screen, if their title and /
or menu bar is missing or just hidden.  On mine, UI display - sometimes
- stops in middle of tabs, showing it's not hidden or cut off JUST at
their border.

As I said, if / when it's hidden AND if TBB bottom border is visible /
draggable, moving bottom border up an inch or so, causes UI to change
size and / or re-position, so title bar & sizing buttons are at least
partially visible.
So, doesn't seem truly "missing."  Neither does part of the bottom of UI
(border) seem "missing" - on start up, when bottom border *sometimes*
appears cut off.

When bottom border is NOT visible, if I hide task bar, the bottom UI
border "seems" aligned w/ monitor's bottom.  "Seems aligned" - because
don't know if it was ALREADY aligned (w/ monitor bottom, but hidden by
task bar), or if hiding task bar causes TBB UI to *then change size /
position,* just as  when title bar is hidden & dragging the bottom
border UP, causes the UI to *re-position* - revealing *part* of title
bar & buttons.

Just tested again w/ *menu bar displayed.*  Still started w/ title bar &
sizing buttons *ALMOST* hidden ("title bar" - just above menu bar).  In
that scenario, "almost" hidden because can see only the *bottom, black
border* of the sizing buttons.  BARELY enough to click & re-size UI
(sometimes).  Again, if drag the bottom border UP ~ an inch, more of the
sizing buttons (but not all) become visible.

With menu bar turned off, AND if / when it starts w/ title bar hidden,
*(often) none* of sizing buttons is initially visible. Until I drag
bottom border up, then the top of UI shifts down about 1/4 inch.
Other times, just enough of buttons are visible to click.  Erratic. I've
identified at least 3 - 4 sequences / steps, when title bar (and / or
menu) MAY be partially or totally hidden.  But not 100% for any
scenario, AFAIK.

Title bar & size buttons being hidden on startup is ERRATIC, but happens
*probably 50% of startups.*  Most often happens if I maximize UI, then
reduce again, close TBB & restart (reduce UI, not minimize to task bar).
But, not 100% reproducible.  Sometimes, UI opens (in partial screen) w/
title bar & buttons fully displayed.  Next restart (immediately, w/o
accessing any pages), title bar & buttons may be hidden again - *w/ OR
W/O touching anything except close button.*

Since this doesn't happen w/ any other TBB versions before 3.5, AND
doesn't happen w/ any apps, seems the problem began w/ some v3.5 change.