[tor-talk] Thunderbird leak

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Jan 26 18:04:24 UTC 2014

On 1/26/2014 11:33 AM, Andrew F wrote:
> YIKES... Are you sure, how did this slip by?
>

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Mike Cardwell <tor at lists.grepular.com>wrote:
>
>> I just blogged about a general security issue in Thunderbird which may
>> also affect people who are using Tor:
>>
>> https://grepular.com/Security_Bug_Thunderbird_Websites_Tabs
>>
>> Basically, an email can be crafted such that when you click a link in
>> that email it is opened within a Thunderbird tab instead of in your
>> usual (potentially torified) web browser. Bypassing any other defenses
>> you might also have, including NoScript etc.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
>> OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F
>> XMPP OTR Key   8924 B06A 7917 AAF3 DBB1  BF1B 295C 3C78 3EF1 46B4
>>
>> --

I've seen a few links in emails  open in new Tbird tabs, instead of
Firefox (email from persons I know, or think I know it's from them) .
I usually just copy links & paste in Fx.  Safer.  If it's from someone I
know AND was expecting a msg, I rarely forget & just click links.
Rarely, those WILL open in a new Tbird tab, but usually in default
browser (Fx).

Don't know if has (anything) to do w/ Tbird options setting, under
Advanced > Reading & Display:  "Open Messages In":  New tab; New msg
window; Existing msg window.
Never seen a Tbird setting about "open links in...".