[tor-talk] Terminology: Deep v Dark Web

Rick rerushg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 16:14:13 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 06:23 AM, Katya Titov wrote:

> I generally agree, however the term is in common usage and we're
> probably stuck with it, just as we're stuck with the common definition
> of the word 'hacker'. I guess we could define a synonymous word and
> use that in lieu of "dark" ... 'private' isn't quite correct, and
> 'hidden' probably isn't either. I like 'overlay' but I'm not sure how
> it would go with the media and users. I've placed some definitions in
> the article and made some rearrangements and minor additions. Please
> feel free to update and/or discuss.
Why should you be stuck with anything? You're writing an important piece
for an important project: You know... the onion with the crown? What
you're writing may well become a source, a reference. You drive the
conversation. All the words are belong to you. :)

In a very broad sense I'd suggest:

'Commercial' that is open to all (sort of) and is after whatever can be
monetized.

'Private' that is behind all those heavy-metal firewalls and exists
primarily in support of 'commercial'.

'Neutral' for those referred to as 'deep' or 'dark' and, like Tor, seek
to be common carriers:Identity is by choice, not by mandate. The
connotations of the word 'neutral' are benign. It also suggests 'net
neutrality' (original recipe... not KFCC's extra-crispy). Further,
'Neutral Net' has a nice ring to it. Shorten that to 'NeuNet' and the
media might run with the concept. They love that stuff; it makes the
Pulitzer fairies run around in their heads.

Happy trails,
Rick