[tor-talk] Terminology: Deep v Dark Web

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun Jan 26 04:06:22 UTC 2014

On 01/25/2014 08:42 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 14:33:12 -0700
> Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Analogous private networks, generally called anonets, are also routed
>> via VPNs through the Internet.
>
> There is anoNet/anoNet2 [1] which are a very specific particular project; but
> that's the first time ever I hear that "private networks... are generally
> called anonets". I think your statement sounds a bit like "onion routing
> networks ...are generally called Tors".
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonet

OK, fair enough. But why not generalize "anonet" to all private
non-commercial networks that are routed through VPNs? And for your
counterexample, I would say "ors" ;)

FYI, there's a question/answer by Tom Marthenal, who was "heavily
involved in one darknet (Anonet) and helped start another (Underlink,
which is now mostly defunct)" on Security.SE. [2]

[2]
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/29366/what-are-darknets-and-how-can-they-be-used-to-provide-security-and-anonymity-in?rq=1