[tor-talk] startpage and ixquick

Gerardus Hendricks konfkukor at riseup.net
Wed Jan 15 10:36:45 UTC 2014

On 1/14/14 4:42 PM, eliaz wrote:
> Are there security issus in using ixquick https instead of startpage in
> Tor 3.5 (Windows)? I'm finding startpage a bit cranky; sometimes it
> complains about "too many simultaneous connection," but at those times
> ixquick works fine.

No, there is no security risk. There is very small anonymity problem, in
that I guess that you browsing behavior then is likely to be a little
different than the average Tor user: fingerprinting. I don't think it
should concern you.

Question for you: what is the cranky behavior you're experiencing?
I sometimes notice with Startpage that for certain keywords it doesn't
have a lot of results. I don't remember which keywords I used, and I
can't reproduce it now.

Startpage uses Google by proxy, I believe Ixquick has its own crawler.

Gerard