[tor-talk] [IDEA] Google App Engine, Tor Hidden Service Viewer

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Jan 13 01:34:03 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 08:00:46PM -0500, Nathan Suchy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just had the greatest idea that came into my head. There is a Tor
> implentation of Tor called JTor written in Java, and Google App Engine
> offers Free to Low Cost Application Hosting. Why not use JTor and modify it
> as Java Backend to connect to Tor Hidden Services and combine it with the
> Mirrorrr <https://github.com/bslatkin/mirrorrr> (through a modified version
> of Jython). It would allow people to view Tor Hidden Services from a
> standard web browser with a limited amount of anonymity. What do you guys
> think of this project? I'm going to learn Java and this is going to be my
> project. "JTHSV" (Java Tor Hidden Service Viewer). I'm not a programmer yet
> but is this project do-able?

Sounds like it would work.

But I also suspect that somebody will eventually get upset at some
content that somebody tries to reach through your mirrorrr, and I bet
Google App Engine will be pleased to shut you off at the first complaint.

See http://tor2web.org/ for a project that already does all of this
(though not with Java and not with Google App Engine). You should learn
about their work building a community of people willing to host the
tor2web proxies.

--Roger