[tor-talk] Thunderbird and Tor - question/s.

Bobby Brewster bobbybrewster203 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 22:04:51 UTC 2014

I was experimenting using Tor and Thunderbird by entering 127.0.0.1: 9150 in the TB Preferences.

I used my Gmail account and hence Gmail's SMTP server.

I checked the headers of the message I sent to Gmail and the IP was a Tor exit node.

However, I am wondering whether using Tor and an e-mail client is as safe as using webmail when using the TBB.

My point is that I don't know to what extent the message is entirely encrypted.

For example, in a message send by Thunderbird there exists in addition to the message body:
from
date/time
subject
cc/bcc (perhaps)

To what extent is this so-called metadata also encrypted?  This may be a stupid question for which the answer is 'obvious' but I would like to know.

Thanks.