[tor-talk] Hammond, Tor

Gerardus Hendricks konfkukor at riseup.net
Sun Jan 5 01:09:22 UTC 2014

On 1/4/14 10:39 PM, Bobby Brewster wrote:
> What is an "IRC bounce"?
There exists specialized software to persist your IRC sessions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC%20(software)

Alternatively, just SSH into a remote (and possibly anonymously setup)
server and connect to IRC there. Your presence on IRC then only reflects
the availability of the server, not the availability of you and/or your
client.

Bonus points if you use Tor twice: once to SSH into the server, and once
to connect to IRC. It won't matter much for end-to-end timing
correlation attacks though.

> My impression of using Tor and IRC is that you have a static exit node unlike when you are using HTTP/S.  Is this true, and if so, does it matter?

Tor doesn't act differently. Tor only sees a TCP connection. It's just
that HTTP transactions usually don't persist long, and IRC transactions
do. You cannot change exit nodes while persisting a connection. Thus
your HTTP transactions hop exit nodes on a 10-minute interval, and your
IRC connections do not (until you reconnect).