[tor-talk] Hammond, Tor

Bobby Brewster bobbybrewster203 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 21:39:50 UTC 2014

Thank you for your comments.

Presumably if Hammond (or anyone) had used a VPN to hide his use of Tor then no connection could have been made to him (unless, somehow, the authorities could acquire the logs of the VPN provider which would prove he accessed Tor).

Also:

What is an "IRC bounce"?

My impression of using Tor and IRC is that you have a static exit node unlike when you are using HTTP/S.  Is this true, and if so, does it matter?

Do you have a source for the 13 years Tor ban?  Since he was sentenced to 10 years (of which how much might he serve considering his 'lack of remorse' and prior convictions) does his incarceration time count?

Finally, since you were at the sentence, why did he plead guilty?  I got the impression that the case would have taken years to get to trial as he was not permitted to review the evidence considering he was denied bail.  Or were there other reasons?  He was, after all, 'guilty'.

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:56 PM, Griffin Boyce <griffin at cryptolab.net> wrote:

Il 04.01.2014 13:32 Bobby Brewster ha scritto:
> See
> http://freejeremy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/jeremy-hammond-federal-complaint.pdf
>
> The search function doesn't work but look at the detail on Pages 30-33.
>
> The point is that Hammond's IP was accessing Tor at the same time as
> he was in his residence and / or in contact with CW-1 (Monsegur I
> assume).

   I was at his sentencing, and can tell you a couple of things about the
case.  As it says in the complaint, authorities relied on an informant
to say when Jeremy Hammond went offline.  At no point did they say that
his location was leaked.  They went to pretty great lengths to force him
offline to confirm that he was "Anarchaos" -- but because the link was
initially so tenuous, even setting up an IRC bounce would have thwarted
those correlation efforts.

   If the feds are watching a chatroom and you don't have a persistent
connection, they can track when you enter and exit, even if they don't
know where you're physically located.  If you're in contact with an
informant, they're giving all of your chats and personal details to
their keepers.  Those two things together can be used to target for
surveillance (legally, with a warrant).

   It's an awful situation, but has nothing to do with Tor.  In fact,
he's restricted from using Tor explicitly for the next 13 years because
they couldn't track his location.

~Griffin

tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk at lists.torproject.org