[tor-talk] Download Helper

Tempest tempest at bitmessage.ch
Fri Jan 3 22:21:31 UTC 2014

Nunostc:
> Hi all,
>
> I am learning Tor an trying to use it more every day. One problem that
> I have is that when I browse for videos in Youtube using Tails or Tor
> Browser Boundle I can not view all the videos. HTML5 does not fully
> supported for Tor Browser.
>
> A thing I normally do when browsing the web using Debian that does no
> support HTML5 is install the plugin Download Helper to download the
> videos so I can watch them offline. That works very good. I would like
> to know if there is any risk using Download Helper?

don't use a plugin. i've had success with a simple url tweak in the
instances where youtube claims flash is required. you just need to place
"embed" in the url at the right place.

for example, if you wanted to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHsM10hhmIU and got the error saying you
needed to install flash in the tor browser, you need to use "embed" and
the video id to get it to play.  The url would be
https://www.youtube.com/embed/AHsM10hhmIU

this should allow you to watch youtube videos that claim to ned flash
without needing to install any third party plugins.