[tor-talk] about circuit management

Gerardus Hendricks konfkukor at riseup.net
Fri Feb 28 17:26:47 UTC 2014

On 2/27/14 9:24 PM, s7r wrote:
> I have remained with Vidalia and installed it as standalone in order
> to be able to use it with newer Tor Browser Bundles releases and I am
> watching circuits to have an understanding about how they work. I have
> some basic questions, please and thank you in advance:

For 1), read https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#EntryGuards and
the question below that about path 'refresh'.

Your point in 2) that AOL would be able to detect you're using an
anonymizer is moot, as they can simply check against the public
exit-node database that you're using Tor.

Also, read about IsolateDest* here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en . All those options
are disabled by default.

3) No, it was introduced quite recently into mainline Tor if I recall
correctly; some months ago.

4) No, there is no maximum lifetime. Not only for hidden services; all
TCP sessions persist until they are closed or broken.

Regards,
Gerard