[tor-talk] Ostel and WebRTC over Tor?

Dedalo Galdos seguridadblanca at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 18:00:01 UTC 2014

Had same problem when torifying skype, I couldn't even log to my account,
it gave me a timeout when I tryed to log in. But as an alternative I've
used https://jitsi.org/,  It's and interesting project.

Regards,
Dedalo.

> Interesting - and a slight tangent - who uses Skype over Tor? As far
> as I can tell - Skype blocks the entire Tor network. I have a
> transparent wireless network that routes through Tor at my house for
> guests. When one of those guests uses Skype, they're able to login to
> the network but they cannot use Skype for *anything* related to
> communications.
>
> Does anyone actually have the ability to use Skype over Tor since the
> M$ acquisition? Has anyone done it lately?
>
> All the best,
> Jacob
>
> (Skype is PRISM/SIGINT enabled non-free malware - please don't
> actually use it for anything!)
>
> On 2/12/14, Lunar <lunar at torproject.org> wrote:
> > Griffin Boyce:
> >>   So I've been fiddling around with Ostel and various webrtc bits for a
> >> while now.  Curious: has anyone tried Ostel or any webrtc
> >> implementations over Tor?  If so, what were your findings?  The official
> >> word on Ostel is that it can't reliably run over Tor due to the latency
> >> involved.
> >
> > Using Mumble over Tor worked out on the few occasions I've tried it.
> > So sadly, this is a misconception.
> >
> > My latest attempt to manually configure a recent Firefox to go through
> > Tor and use the WebRTC on <https://freephonebox.net/> failed. I had a
> > firewall denying all connections not routed through Tor.
> >
> > I have also not been able to make Jitsi (2.4) work in the same setup.
> >
> > --
> > Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>
> >
> --

Scripter, Pentester N' Independent Security Researcher.

Blog: Seguridad Blanca <http://blog.dedalo.in>
Twitter: @SeguridadBlanca <http://www.twitter.com/SeguridadBlanca>