[tor-talk] The following directory authorities recommend other client versions than the consensus: gabelmoo

tor-admin tor-admin at torland.me
Fri Feb 7 13:14:28 UTC 2014

On Friday 07 February 2014 09:50:52 Sebastian Hahn wrote:
> The idea is to recommend all versions which aren't known to be bad, so
> that an operator who reads their Tor logs will realize their Tor really
> needs to be upgraded in order to remain secure/operational when theysee
> it. So, if an -rc version is fine to use, we can keep recommending it.
>
> Thanks for keeping an eye on our infrastructure!
Sebastian, thanks for clarification. I remember there were some late changes
#9063, #9072, #9093, and #10169 which made it into 2.4.X because of the DOS
issues Rob Jansen described in https://blog.torproject.org/blog/new-tor-
denial-service-attacks-and-defenses.

Would it not be better to bring relays to a version that have defenses against
these new attacks?

Thanks & regards,

Torland