[tor-talk] TBB: Can not set back to Never remember history

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Feb 6 03:03:45 UTC 2014

On 2/5/2014 4:36 PM, David Balažic wrote:
> On 5 February 2014 06:44, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk at gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 2/4/2014 3:02 PM, David Balažic wrote:
>>> I use TBB 3.5.1 (win32)
>>> Trying to delete some specific cookies, in the preferences I selected
>>> "Remember History" on the "Privacy" tabs, to gain access to the "Show
>>> cookies" button.
>>> Unexpectedly that required a restart of TBB.
>>>
>>> As that wiped out all cookies anyway, I tired to set thing back as they
>>> were.
>>> But if I select "Never remember history", after confirming it (click
>>> OK), it changes to "Use custom settings for history". I tried several
>>> times.
>>>
>> In the TorButton extension security tab settings, are all 4 boxes checked?
>> By default, they're all checked.
>> It does say when you change the history setting in Options, that a restart
>> is necessary.  Are you restarting it when it prompts, after changing back to
>> Never Remember History?
> The third one is not checked.
>
> When I select "Never remember history", it does not prompt for restart.
> If I restart manually, the setting is reverted to "Use custom settings
> for history".
>
> if I set the mentioned third option in TorButton Security prefs, then
> set "Never remember history", restart (it does not prompt), the
> TorButton Security change is preserved, but the History setting again
> reverts to "Use custom settings for history".

You don't have any (non-default) extensions or plugins?  Sometimes they
mess w/ things.
Other than that one change, did you make any others?
Wondering if a file got corrupted?

One easy thing is just "reinstall" TBB.  Erase old files & start fresh.
If something got corrupted, it'll be replaced.  Assuming you have a good
d/l copy.
I've changed those settings before & they don't refuse to go back.  But,
you may've found the newest "bug."