[tor-talk] All I Want For X-mas: TorPhone

spencerone at openmailbox.org spencerone at openmailbox.org
Sat Dec 27 01:52:02 UTC 2014

Awesome,

Thanks for the link, Chuck!  Unfortunately, at least for me, that
approach isn't sufficient, as it requires one of the most broken devices
ever regarding basic functionality and still allows Google services,
even if disabled.  Not to mention the learning curve.  Not that I am
against learning or working for my goal but I have tried similar things
in the past and, in comparison, having no device is just so much better.
  Though I hope you get a TShirt :)  I have been working on a few, though
none are good enough to share, yet.

Seth, thanks a bunch for the super duper in-depth insight.  I feel you
on the MAC address IDing, as I have always hated my ISP being able to
see every device on my "private" home and business networks. I have been
wishing for a TorBlock device that would allow my ISP to see my modem,
or modem/router combo, only, while giving a big ol' Fuck You to any
request to see other connected devices, unless, that is, I choose to
allow specific device access for troubleshooting.  Whether it is a
separate, and very small, box that middlemans between the modem and the
WiFi router, or is ware firmed into the modem/router combo.

But are you saying that even though my IP is obfuscated my device WiFi
ID is still visible?  Maybe "other people" is unclear.  Or, maybe I
thought I understood something I actually do not, which is seeming to be
the case.

Maybe, in addition to the awesomeness that is Atlas, at least what's in
the TorButton in TorBrowser-4.5-Alpha-2, we have a greater visualization
of things.  More specifically, exactly what each node, and maybe the
final destination, sees.  This could help, in addition to addressing the
guard node issues in some way, assist TorBrowser users in changing their
habits, or at least know what habits could lead to certain levels of
fingerprinting.

I wasn't aware of Whonix, so thanks, but TAILS seems to have a mobile
device option if you throw it on an SD card, though it appears to
require plugging into a laptop, but I might be mistaken.

Tough challenges for sure.

Awesome,
SpencerOne