[tor-talk] Running a Tor node on a Rasberry Pi

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Dec 26 13:11:29 UTC 2014

I'm running a tor exit on a very new Raspberry Pi B+ node and I just
posted a message about it here 2 days ago wondering if it was perhaps
under powered for the job.

Here are my quick thoughts:

1: I'm still trying to prove if the Pi is underpowered. I got the
'stable' flag back and now I'm starting to think it was either a glitch
or perhaps the Pi can't handle dual duty running both Tor and the arm
monitoring tool 24x7. Load goes down appreciably when I quit 'arm'.  The
node has earned stable/exit/valid/fast/hs2dir etc. flags but it's only
been online for a short time. One reason I think it may still be
underpowered is that it's averaging about 1Mb/sec up and down despite my
bandwidth limit settings being quite a bit higher. If the Pi turns out
to be underpowered I'll put new hardware in

For your other questions

- It's very easy to get a distribution running on the Pi. Just look at
http://www.raspbian.org/ -- there is an installer image linked off of
that site --  if you drop it onto your flash card the system will boot,
install and auto configure itself all automatically via DHCP with no
human interaction. About 12 minutes after you power the thing on you
have a usable debian based system

- I could not easily find/use the debs that everybody talked about so I
just built tor from source. It was trivially easy to do and built
without errors

Long story short -- getting a usable distribution on the PI is easy,
compiling Tor on the Pi is easy and my only longer term worry is that
the hardware itself is not powerful enough for my own particular use
case (tor exit node on a somewhat decent business-class broadband circuit).