[tor-talk] All I Want For X-mas: TorPhone

spencerone at openmailbox.org spencerone at openmailbox.org
Thu Dec 25 08:47:42 UTC 2014

Hello everybody,

With all of the great development happening around the Tor network this
holiday season, it seems fitting to ask for something that would help me
out tremendously: TorPhone.

We have a great back-end network, a sweet browser for most platforms
[f/iOS & WP], and a kick-ass portable OS, just to name a few.  However,
these do not necessarily meet my needs, and I presume the needs of many
others, when on the road, which I am always on.

I propose, and please point me in the correct direction if I am
overlooking something that already exists, a bare-bones WiFi-only mobile
device.

Ideally it would run an open OS tied to an open organization and come
with nothing installed on it except for a mobile version of TorBrowser.
The best example I can think of now is a forked version of Android with
Orweb/bot installed.  Other applications could be installed at the
discretion of the human, like F-Droid and whatnot, presuming they meet
the security ethics of the network.

I could take most any Android device and only use WiFi but most
offerings are through a cellular service provider on a WiFi-only SIM.  I
could also just avoid using a cellular SIM altogether but the devices
still come preloaded with all kinds of stuff that do things I don't want
them to, like tracking and reporting, most of which can only be
disabled, not uninstalled, at least not by me.  I could also throw an
Android alternative on it but in most cases that requires entering into
a contract with the manufacturer regarding the now unlocked bootloader,
let alone the learning curve of actually doing so.  And I could get a
device that comes without a locked bootloader like a Jolla running
Sailfish or a OnePlus running CyanogenMod, though they are also quite
tied to either a manufacturer or a provider, or both.  If Android isn't
the best option, what is?

Knowing very little about compiling or securing software, like most
people, this out of the box experience seems quite valuable.

If this is a reasonable request, and if this is the right place to make
such a request, I am all aboard with assisting development in anyway
that I can; form development, mechanical engineering, interface,
experience, packaging, whatever...I just want to see a truly usable
mobile device in my hand, and the hands of others.

Any thoughts?

Happy Holidays!

Awesome,
SpencerOne