[tor-talk] Possible upcoming attempts to disable the Tor network

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Dec 22 21:18:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 02:03:04PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
> In light of recent posts from Thomas White and some node operators, I'm
> wondering whether "seizure" might be looking more like "compromise".
> There might be a range of attacks, from DDoSing to rooting, and perhaps
> even the covert installation of malicious hardware. Or is that too alarmist?

So far all is quiet on the directory authority front, and no news is
good news.

As for Thomas's servers, I should emphasize that Tor exit relays aren't
the same as Tor directory authorities. There are 1000+ exit relays in
the Tor network, and it is normal (and safe) for them to come and go for
all sorts of reasons. He took his relays down himself to be conservative
while investigating, but currently he's not thinking it has to do with
law enforcement. When he took them down, the Tor network temporarily
lost a little bit of exit capacity, but that too is normal.

There are six thousand plus relays in the Tor network right now, and
things are happening as usual. There's no indication currently that
anything in particular has happened recently.

--Roger