[tor-talk] Tor and solidarity against online harassment

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Dec 14 06:15:03 UTC 2014

On 12/14/14, andre76 at fastmail.fm <andre76 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014, at 03:30 AM, kendrick eastes wrote:
>> dont feed the troll. If you ignore them they go away faster.
>
> I was interested in hearing what he had to say. You folks may argue
> against him/her but it seems to me he had some valid points though the
> poster probably knows that no one will listen to his frustration.

Juan's voice is an important voice, as he is hard-core "BE CAREFUL",
and this is a very good thing for anyone who might genuinely -need-
privacy in their communications, against USA Corp.

In particular, a healthy (very healthy :)  paranoia enema is important
for some people. And if a newcomer comes to this list genuinely
needing privacy, and everyone speaks "TOR is, OMG, like soooo awesome,
it's just the greatest privacy for everyone", then that newcomer is
likely to guarantee themselves a serious problem.

So caution, paranoia, attention to detail, proper assessment of the
risks and technical foundations/ requirements/ possibilities of what
TOR can, and more importantly cannot provide, is (in such
circumstances) of utmost importance.

On the other hand, for those on this list for some time, the old
refrain becomes, well, an old refrain.

If I personally were in a position to need some level of privacy in my
online communications, I would be -very- grateful for Juan's voice of
caution, no matter that I might disagree with some (or even many/most)
of his points in particular.

His message of caution is so much more the important thing here, in my
so very high opinion :)

Stay safe if you need it,
Zenaan