[tor-talk] Three questions

ml at ruggedinbox.com ml at ruggedinbox.com
Sat Aug 9 00:38:20 UTC 2014

Hi sorry if wrong list.
Well first of all, thanks for developing and supporting Tor !!

We are trying to build a decent email service and have two questions
that weren't able to answer on our own :)

1. when running a service as a hidden service, for example a web server,
the client IP address is always 127.0.0.1.
Is there a way to have some more 'unique' information about the visitor,
in order to mitigate a DDOS attack ?

2. when I connect to a hidden service, as a client, for example using
TBB or ssh, does any of the nodes in the circuit know my final
destination ?
Or Tor is so great that also the onion name is encrypted end-to-end ? :)

3. about connecting to ssh as a hidden service: many howtos explain to
edit ~/.ssh/config and add a 'ProxyCommand' definition, for example this
resource:
http://unethicalblogger.com/2012/06/13/ssh-as-a-hidden-service.html
but we found that also torsocks (for example: torsocks ssh
root at s4bysmmsnraf7eut.onion) works well.
We did some (simple) packet sniffing and analysis and weren't able to
find any leak.
We prefer using torsocks because if you forget to add the ProxyCommand
definition (thus trying to directly connect to the onion address), the
onion address may be DNS leaked.

What do you think about using torsocks to connect to ssh as a hidden
service ?

Thank you very much for your attention and sorry again if wrong list,
RuggedInbox team