[tor-talk] dutch police crawling hidden servers

Rejo Zenger rejo at zenger.nl
Tue Aug 5 18:30:08 UTC 2014

++ 05/08/14 19:58 +0200 - Rejo Zenger:
>>  August 2011. Agents at the National High Tech Crime Unit of the
>>  Netherlands’ national police force had decided to crack down on online
>>  child porn, according to an FBI affidavit. To that end, they wrote a web
>>  crawler that scoured the Dark Net, collecting all the Tor onion
>>  addresses it could find.
>
>How would they have done that? Of course, there are wiki's listing

The avidavit answers my question:

  In order to identify potentiai "hidden services" invoived in the
  distribution of child pornography, the NHTCU activaled a web erawier
  to search avaiiabie "hidden services" within the Tor-netwerk. A web
  erawier is a software program that can be used to automatically search
  for websites, identify any hyperlinks cantairred on those websites,
  and follow those hyperlinks to additionai websites. The NHTCU
  configured the web erawier to search for "hidden services" ending in
  ".anion" within the Tor network. Severai hundred "hidden services" we
  re identified and documented bythe NHTCU. Each of these "hidden
  services" was then manually reviewed by the NHTCU to determine whether
  it cantairred child pornography.

The typos are from the OCR.

<https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1261620/torpedo-affidavit.pdf>

--
Rejo Zenger
E rejo at zenger.nl | P +31(0)639642738 | W https://rejo.zenger.nl
T @rejozenger | J rejo at zenger.nl
OpenPGP   1FBF 7B37 6537 68B1 2532  A4CB 0994 0946 21DB EFD4
XMPP OTR  271A 9186 AFBC 8124 18CF  4BE2 E000 E708 F811 5ACF