[tor-talk] JonDo uses Tor v0.2.3.25 SocksPort but not for v0.2.4.20-v0.2.4.23; why?

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Sat Aug 2 19:17:47 UTC 2014

On 14-08-02 01:48 PM, Mirimir wrote:
> I've been playing with JAP/JonDo routed through Tor. The JonDo client
> has a SOCKS proxy option, and it works well with Tor v0.2.3.25
> SocksPorts in Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64. I installed Tor from the Ubuntu 12.04
> repository, by the way.
>
> After upgrading Tor to v0.2.4.20, which is default in Ubuntu 14.04, the
> JonDo client can no longer use Tor SocksPorts. Upgrading Tor to the
> latest v0.2.4.23 doesn't restore that functionality.
>
> Please share insight. I'm guessing that a security fix in Tor, or in
> libraries that it uses, has broken something about how the JonDo client
> uses SOCKS proxies.

JAP/JonDo is not affiliated with TorProject so this isnt the place to
expect support for their products.  There is a topic on their support
forum that may address your issue:

Jondo no longer able cascade Tor using Port 9150
https://anonymous-proxy-servers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8295

Can you be more specific how Tor isnt responding as expected?  Maybe
pastebin the torrc you are using.  Are there two copies of Tor running
on your system?  Check
   sudo netstat -lpn | fgrep tor
to see on which ports the running Tor is listening.  Turn on notice
level logging in torrc and watch for connections on the socks port.