[tor-talk] Does Tor need to be recompiled *after* the openssl update?

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 13:59:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 05:04:27AM -0400, hikki at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> For those of us who compile Tor from source, does Tor need to be recompiled
> *after* the openssl update from our OS vendors?

"Maybe". If you are upgrading OpenSSL from a much older version then you
may need to recompile Tor (so it knows about the newer version and uses
the correct headers and such) but if you're simply upgrading from, say,
1.0.1e to 1.0.1g then you should not need to recompile Tor. If you
restart Tor it should use the newer version of openssl without issue.