[tor-talk] Pogoplug: is safe enough against NSA?

C B cb736 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 21:48:00 UTC 2014

I would categorically assume the answer to be no until the NSA starts working for the people of the United States instead of against us. Until they are completely transparent in what they do, and completely honest in their results, it is easier to assume no. The NSA does not even trust itself. They replaced all the cables and all of the computers that Edward Snowden could have had access to with the assumption that they could not tell if any of them were bugged. Public key cryptography should be safe. We know that 128 bit keys, are not sufficiently robust today, but mathematically 1024 or 2048 should be. Whether they are or not will not be known for some time. There are examples of someone saying that their email was read and used against them in a court case when it was expected to be secure, but normally this is done by finding the secret key through the placement of malware on the subjects computer.

Unfortunately the only way to find out if it is secure is to do something horrendously illegal and find out if you get caught.

--
Christopher Booth