[tor-talk] strange behavior of Tor Browser on Windows 8.1

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Apr 10 00:53:40 UTC 2014

On 4/9/2014 11:21 AM, s7r at sky-ip.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded to latest Tor Browser Bundle version: 3.5.4 - Windows
> 32 bit.
> My operating system is Windows 8.1 Pro Enterprise, 64 bit.
>

> The odd things i have noticed (which didn't happen in previous
> versions) are:
>
> 1. Some kind of cookie / session handling issue, i cannot login to
> mail.aol.com , after entering credentials I get this error:
> Authentication Problem
> Uh-oh! Your sign-in got derailed. We’re on it—sorry for the delay.
> Click here to try again.
>
> If you use a bookmark to get to AOL Mail, update it to
> http://mail.aol.com .
>
> Browser security settings sometimes disrupt sign-in. In Internet
> Explorer, try selecting “Enable Protected Mode” in both the Internet
> zone and Trusted sites zone . On Firefox, try using Safe Mode .
>
> You also might try deleting your browser history. Find this in the
> “Tools” menu — and make sure to clear (delete) cookies!
Is AOL the only site w/ a problem?  I have no problem allowing cookies &
logging into sites (but don't use Win 8).
If you don't like the idea of allowing cookies globally (who does?),
you'll have to turn cookies on / off a lot, or use a cookie manager.
Then addons have potential risk of compromising anonymity.

> 2. Windows doesn't see the portable
> firefox within the Tor Browser Bundle as a portable app
Not "Windows", but CCleaner? (but see below)
> , i close my regular firefox
> but CCleaner when I run CLEAN states that firefox is opened and needs
> to close in order for it to clean the cookies and cache stuff.

That's the way CCleaner has always acted for me w/ TorBrowser.  It
shouldn't care if the open Fx is portable or installed, only that it
can't clean it properly as long as it's open.