[tor-talk] Tor (and Orbot's) growth in Turkey

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Fri Apr 4 15:20:29 UTC 2014

Remember how Tor doubled its user base in Turkey in the last month?

https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=userstats-relay-country&start=2014-01-04&end=2014-04-04&country=tr&events=off#userstats-relay-country

Well, at least ~18,000 of the 30,000 were Orbot users:
https://twitter.com/guardianproject/status/452100420505059329

which I believe was driven directly from the fact that Twitter for
Android includes very easy proxy settings, and that Google Play itself
was not blocked. There were a number of articles, tweets, in Turkish,
that laid out the easy process to install Orbot, enabled Twitter proxy
settings, etc.

It would be nice it had been 30,000,000 new users (considering the
population of Turkey is 74 million), but it might be good to think about
Turkey's Twitter block as a "censorship-lite" event, not unlike the UK
or Indonesia, and then figure out how we can encourage more adoption
next time.

+n