[tor-talk] Tor server upgrade scrapped existing installation

Peter Palfrader weasel at debian.org
Tue Sep 10 20:16:30 UTC 2013

666 at tempo300.de schrieb am Dienstag, dem 10. September 2013:

>    I added the path:  deb [1]http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org
>    tor-0.2.4.x-wheezy main
>    to sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list and made the update/upgrade
>
>    after all my Tor server won't start, it yells :
>
>    pi at raspberrypi ~ $ sudo -u debian-tor arm
>    pi at raspberrypi ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/tor reload
>    /etc/init.d/tor: line 111:  2428 Illegal instruction     $DAEMON
>    $VERIFY_ARGS > /dev/null
>    [FAIL] Checking if tor configuration is valid ... failed!
>    /etc/init.d/tor: line 111:  2451 Illegal instruction     $DAEMON
>    $VERIFY_ARGS 1>&2

The raspberry pi, although using the Debian architecture string "armhf"
in the raspbian Debian fork, is *NOT* compatible with Debian armhf
binaries.  Great, isn't it?

Therefore you cannot use any binaries built for Debian armhf, including,
but not limited to, the Debian packages on deb.torproject.org.

You'll either have to downgrade to the packages provided by raspbian, or
build your own raspbian binaries from source.

Cheers,
weasel