[tor-talk] Privacy of Tor,

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Fri Sep 6 12:37:43 UTC 2013

On 13-09-06 07:03 AM, Nathan Suchy wrote:
> I know how to use Tor and I've run nodes before but what is the likely hood
> of my traffic being watched or even changed by a rouge exit node?

There is nothing but ethics stopping the operators of exit nodes from
trying to watch your traffic. Therefore, if you are worried about
privacy, you should assume that they will try and ensure all your web
traffic is encrypted with SSL. Then the exit node operators will only be
able to see which sites you connect to, not the content of that traffic.
This was explained in the 2nd link provided below.

In addition, because of the Tor network design, the exit operators
cannot know the origin of the traffic, so they will not know it was you,
just that some computers were connecting to the destinations they observed.

Exit nodes that alter content are flagged as "BadExit", if someone
reports them or the automated scanner catches them. (Suggestion: a rouge
colour could be applied to their icons in any node listings.)

However, if you do not read the instructions and warnings that appear on
your screen, the likelihood is close to 100% that your computer is
infected and that your SSL connections have been MITM'd and the content
read.

Good luck.