[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.4.17-rc is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Sep 5 10:36:09 UTC 2013

Tor 0.2.4.17-rc is the third release candidate for the Tor 0.2.4.x
series. It adds an emergency step to help us tolerate the massive
influx of users: 0.2.4 clients using the new (faster and safer) "NTor"
circuit-level handshakes now effectively jump the queue compared to
the 0.2.3 clients using "TAP" handshakes. This release also fixes a
big bug hindering bridge reachability tests.

https://www.torproject.org/dist/

Changes in version 0.2.4.17-rc - 2013-09-05
  o Major features:
    - Relays now process the new "NTor" circuit-level handshake requests
      with higher priority than the old "TAP" circuit-level handshake
      requests. We still process some TAP requests to not totally starve
      0.2.3 clients when NTor becomes popular. A new consensus parameter
      "NumNTorsPerTAP" lets us tune the balance later if we need to.
      Implements ticket 9574.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - If the circuit build timeout logic is disabled (via the consensus,
      or because we are an authority), then don't build testing circuits.
      Fixes bug 9657; bugfix on 0.2.2.14-alpha.
    - Bridges now send AUTH_CHALLENGE cells during their v3 handshakes;
      previously they did not, which prevented them from receiving
      successful connections from relays for self-test or bandwidth
      testing. Also, when a relay is extending a circuit to a bridge,
      it needs to send a NETINFO cell, even when the bridge hasn't sent
      an AUTH_CHALLENGE cell. Fixes bug 9546; bugfix on 0.2.3.6-alpha.
    - If the time to download the next old-style networkstatus is in
      the future, do not decline to consider whether to download the
      next microdescriptor networkstatus. Fixes bug 9564; bugfix on
      0.2.3.14-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Avoid double-closing the listener socket in our socketpair()
      replacement (used on Windows) in the case where the addresses on
      our opened sockets don't match what we expected. Fixes bug 9400;
      bugfix on 0.0.2pre7. Found by Coverity.

  o Minor fixes (config options):
    - Avoid overflows when the user sets MaxCircuitDirtiness to a
      ridiculously high value, by imposing a (ridiculously high) 30-day
      maximum on MaxCircuitDirtiness.
    - Fix the documentation of HeartbeatPeriod to say that the heartbeat
      message is logged at notice, not at info.
    - Warn and fail if a server is configured not to advertise any
      ORPorts at all. (We need *something* to put in our descriptor,
      or we just won't work.)

  o Minor features:
    - Track how many "TAP" and "NTor" circuit handshake requests we get,
      and how many we complete, and log it every hour to help relay
      operators follow trends in network load. Addresses ticket 9658.
    - Update to the August 7 2013 Maxmind GeoLite Country database.