[tor-talk] Exit node stats collection?

Martijn Grooten tor at lapsedordinary.net
Thu Sep 5 07:28:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, mirimir wrote:
> China seems to know how to detect Tor traffic. Are their methods public
> knowledge?

I don't know. But can they detect a Tor user (or bot) in Brazil connecting
to a hidden service running on a server in Sweden? For that's what would
matter here.

> Growing a botnet with 2-4 million bots in a couple of weeks seems
> impressive. Or am I just naive?
>
> Are there many botnets that size these days?

Measuring botnets is far from trivial - but this would be huge.

> Are you suggesting that relatively few instances of DDoS software might
> be sending traffic that Tor interprets as highly numerous clients?

I meant to say that this could be a DDoS attack aimed at one particular
hidden service. DDoS'ing a competitor/enemy isn't uncommon, especially in
the darker corners of the Net. It's just that, if I'm not mistaken, you
can't really DDoS a single hidden service without seriously disturbing the
whole Tor network.

Martijn.