[tor-talk] Many more Tor users in the past week?

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Tue Sep 3 23:14:46 UTC 2013

On 13-09-03 03:56 PM, mirimir wrote:
> On 09/03/2013 03:35 PM, adrelanos wrote:
>
>> New hypothesis:
>> This is an attempt to shut down the Tor network once and forever.
>>
>> Might this be an attack on the Tor network with the goal to make it that
>> slow for everyone, that no one will use it anymore? (DDOS)

Coming on the heels of the Pirate Browser release, could it be a DDoS
attack by the copyright mafia, trying to make the Tor network just
unusable enough to discourage adopters? They could use the existing pool
of addresses that they use for poisoning torrents (which we should be
able to test if we can find a recent copy of that list, and allow entry
nodes to record IPs or at least compare to the poison list). Or they
could buy a botnet for the purpose (not sure how to test that).