[tor-talk] Tor and Financial Transparency

andrew at torproject.is andrew at torproject.is
Tue Sep 3 02:38:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:47:42AM +0000, adrelanos at riseup.net wrote 1.4K bytes in 0 lines about:
: I think The Tor Project has not enough time/man power/money to grant
: more support to such projects, but I can not speak for them.

Tails gets some money because we get to know, meet up with, and learn to trust the
individuals who work on it. Once the trust is there, the individuals
come to us and ask "we'd like to apply for grant A, can Tor sponsor
us?" We write a proposal together, we write progress reports together,
Tor handles the accounting/financial/legal items, and the project team
handles everything else. We're happy to help out with advice and
suggestions along the way.

There's some overhead charged for our work on the project, but otherwise
the money flows to the individuals. Tor takes on the financial audits
and legal issues (if any) along the way. We've done similar arrangements
for guardian project, torbirdy, stegotorus, and some anonymity training
events.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact