[tor-talk] VPNGate

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 09:27:45 UTC 2013

On 9/2/13, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:
>   http://www.vpngate.net/en/
>
> even running a Tor Exit node can be dangerous (even though you have
> bullet-proof deniability of any knowledge of the source, you can still get
> into legal trouble)

You chose to provide last hop services (whether exit or vpn), any trouble
you catch does not depend on deniability of the source. Further, as a
transit provider, you have the generally recognized provider immunity
provided you follow the immunity rules.

> Insanity?

No, it's just another model...
Tor exit ops are happy to run Tor exits.
VPNGate ops are happy to run VPN nodes.
The risks and services of both are known to the ops and users.
Users are happy to use both.

I encourage them all to continue operating their unique model.
The world needs more models for more use cases (eg: Tor
doesn't offer VPN bindings or other protocols natively yet, they do).
They don't claim to be anything they're not and they tell you what
they are. I don't see any droids here.

> From the looks of it all the volunteers effectively operate open proxies
> for anyone who connects to this service.

Works for me, where do I donate...