[tor-talk] x.509 for hidden services

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 20:22:51 UTC 2013

>> IIRC, torchat is just doing a bidirectional secret passing
>> pingpong between clients behind the HS addresses, no
>> actual x509 stuff. There's a good paper on it.
>
> Link please. :)
>
> At least in one (early) version it needed to access the HS keys so it
> could sign with them and identify itself on outgoing connections. I
> didn't mean to imply it used x.509, but rather just that something
> else had used a HS identity key for some application level auth.

Not so sure simple pingpong really needs to sign anything. And afaik,
no one is currently using the RSA keys for any production application.
Anyway, there's these. I recall reading an actual protocol level breakdown
but can't find it right now... plus a couple articles on the hidden wiki.

http://www.mail-archive.com/or-talk@freehaven.net/msg14886.html
https://github.com/prof7bit/TorChat/wiki