[tor-talk] New to list and questions about exit nodes

Michael Wolf mikewolf53 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 08:58:44 UTC 2013

On 10/25/2013 3:31 AM, DeveloperChris wrote:
> Hi all I am new to this list and to TOR in general

Welcome!

> An acquittance of mine created a tor exit node, I know little detail
> more than that other than he was banned by services such as skype and
> ebay. and apparently the machine he used was hacked. Now I know he is
> very security conscious and not a newb. If he was hacked it was by
> professionals. He is a network engineer.

One should never run an exit node from home -- which it appears he did
if he was banned from certain services.  Relays from home are still a
good idea.  Fair warning:  A very very small number of sites do block
non-exit relays as well out of ignorance of how the Tor network works.
I've run a non-exit relay from home for years, and have only ever
encountered one site that blocked my IP address.  If you're concerned
about that, consider running a bridge instead.