[tor-talk] VOIP and tor

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 07:29:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Matt <matt at pagan.io> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 21:15:46 -0600 Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
> The sound quality was surprisingly clear in my tests, and I didn't have
> any dropped calls, even over extended periods of time.
>
>> I never got around to directly comparing UDP mode via VPN via Tor,
>> versus TCP mode via just Tor. My initial experience convinced me that
>> VoIP and anonymity are entirely incompatible :(
>
> I don't think this true at all. If you want to use torsocks and mumble
> together, you may want to try it with dgoulet's new torsocks rewrite.

I've seen people out there streaming pirate radio over hidden services.
Once you get the stream up (which usually just involves waiting vs.
manual retry), and signaling aside (which can be for voip), the
stream itself works good. Though those streams tend to be constant
and heavy, unlike bursty voip. If you're having problems you might try
a constant bitrate stream codec or disabling noise/mic nulling.