[tor-talk] The NSA's problem? Too much data?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Oct 20 17:43:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:58:34 +0200
Antispam 06 <antispam06 at sent.at> wrote:

> On 20.10.2013 18:09, Anonymous wrote:
> > What about users own domains? :)
>
> Checked that list. Mostly vanity domains like $fist_name@$last_name.com.
> I think it's the same with car licence plates.

I am not sure "what about" them, but having E-Mail on your own domain is the
only way to have an E-Mail address you can rely on to have any sort of
longevity while allowing you the choice of providers.

Services come and go, they change their policies (or even just their user
interfaces) to the worse all the time. Your domain name always stays with you.

With an E-Mail address @providername.com you're locked-in to that provider by
the huge hassle of the prospect of changing E-Mail addresses. With an E-Mail
@yourdomain.com you are free to choose who hosts your MXes today, it could be
a 486 PC in your closet, a Xeon dedicated server in a DC, a VPS or two, or if
you're so inclined to trust "cloud services", it could be "Google Apps for
Domains", "Yandex PDD" or any of the other "bring your own domain" E-Mail
services which will compete for having you as their client without you
allowing them to lock you in.

Having E-Mail at a domain name you own is the ultimate freedom as far as doing
your E-Mail is concerned. Wouldn't imagine someone around here would consider
the desire to be free just a "vanity".

--
With respect,
Roman