[tor-talk] Linux + Tor

Anthony G. Basile basile at opensource.dyc.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:50:37 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 09:40 AM, Marcos Eugenio Kehl wrote:

> Hello folk!
> 1. Wich version of Linux do you recomend to use with Tor in a virtual machine? Ubuntu? Linux Mint? Other? Why?Wich is the most recomended site to download Linux?
> Best regards!
> Marcos Kehl (Brasil)

This question has been discussed now a few times on the list.  I'm going
to recommend Hardened Gentoo [1] or a derivative distro called Liberte
Linux [2].  The reason is that one attack on tor is not to attack the
network itself (which is hard) but to attack the client programs on the
end user computers along the lines of AcidFox as discussed in Scheier's
article [3].  Hardened Gentoo uses lots of user and kernel land
hardening techniques to pro-actively prevent exploits, eg. our kernel is
patched with PaX to prevent abuses of a process's memory space.
Hopefully these memory protection techniques will frustrate even
exploits that the NSA might know about that they don't share with the
opensource community.  The process itself may have the exploit, but it
will be caught and stopped by the kernel.

I am aware that nothing is guaranteed, but every little bit helps here.

Refs.
[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened
[2] http://dee.su/liberte
[3] https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/10/how_the_nsa_att.html