[tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

Johnny Carson BM-2cWsmYXZ1wDRbXAriL1tFwmsm4mbCAqD9Q at bitmessage.ch
Mon Oct 14 15:34:40 UTC 2013

mick:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 20:35:56 +0000
> Johnny Carson <BM-2cWsmYXZ1wDRbXAriL1tFwmsm4mbCAqD9Q at bitmessage.ch>
> allegedly wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking about this to get around IP blocks on Tor exit nodes:
>>
>> My computer (SSL) > Thunderbird + Torbridy > Tor (not using hidden
>> service to bitmessage.ch) > Internet > VPN > Internet > Bitmessage.ch
>>> Internet > Recipient
>>
>> Not sure if that's possible or easy with VPN and Bitmessage Mail
>> Gateway??
>>

> Huh? I don't follow that at all.
>
> I can see you connecting to bitmessage.ch over Tor, but, how on earth do
> you expect to get the bitmessage server to route a message to an
> external recipient's MTA over the net, through a VPN back to
> bitmessage.ch then back out over the net to a clearnet MTA?
>
> Whatever. The problem remains that if the clearnet MTA subscribes to an
> RBL system (or has other blacklisting in place) it may simply refuse to
> talk to a server identified as a Tor node, (or indeed to a system
> identified as "mail.bitmessage.ch"). And there is nothing you can do
> about that in advance.
>
> SMTP was never designed with privacy or anonymity in mind. It is
> iredeemably broken for that purpose. So any and all attempts at making
> a hybrid system which /may/ work within an anonymising network such as
> Tor, will almost certainly face problems when attempting to connect to
> clearnet systems. The gateways between the two systems have to be
> indentified. If they are identified, they can be blocked.
>
> There are good reasons why the default torrc exit policy blocks port
> 25.
>
> Best
>
> Mick

Hey Mick,

Maybe I am not explaining myself well or maybe Im ignorant and dont see
what you see (the latter is most likely  ).

All I was thinking about was placing a VPN between Tor and Bitmessage,
so the Tor exit node isn't seen by the recipient.

I could be wrong but i thought VPN could be used with POP/SMTP, so I
thought maybe such as VPN could be placed between Tor and Bitmessage,
relying of Bitmessag's SSL to protect content from the VPN after it
leaves Tor network.

I could be totally wrong because im about as far from an expert as one
can be and still use this list..

The "> Internet >" parts were just to show the traffic leaves one
network, travels in the Internet to the second server (VPN) and then
travels in the Internet to Bitmessage.ch.