[tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Oct 13 14:52:08 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 8:30 PM, Johnny Carson wrote:
> Joe Btfsplk:
>> I guess you went thru part of the signup process to see it assigns a
>> random string as your acct username / email address?
>> It told me the registration was "having problems."  How long was the
>> random assigned name?
>>
>> That'd be a bit tough sending mail to general people.  But, if you want
>> privacy...
>> I wonder if there's an option to enter a name that goes in front of the
>> email user name, like most clients or even ISPs allow?
>>
>> I guess it'd be fine for typical mail, but the entire size per message
>> limit is 2 MB.
> I too use Bitmessage.ch by their hidden service address (SSL). I use
> Torbirdy with Thunderbird.
>
> When I send emails to people I just enter a name into Thunderbird and
> that's the name a recipient sees. The email address of course is long,
> but I haven't found anyone that seemed to care.
>
> I dont send big files though, the 2 mb limit is low.
>
> A trace of an email sent through Tor and then Bitmessage and then to the
> recipient shows Tor exit node IP address, without usable metadata AFAIU
> what Bitmessage.ch does for metadata.
>

> There's a new Tor Mail Gateway coming online and it sounds bad ass:
>
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Special:AWCforum/sp/id429
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-August/thread.html#29464
>
> https://github.com/moba/tor2mail

Thanks for the info.  As always (& as Bitmessage site points out), if
you send unencrypted email outside to "regular" email servers, sensitive
or personal info faces exposure & scanning by the receiving server.
You can encrypt messages, but that's still not accepted by average users.

I'm guessing that using Bitmessage w/ Tor, that perhaps the receiving
server or the recipient, can't determine the sender's actual IP address?
Has there been much of a problem w/ other email providers rejecting
messages from Bitmessage servers?