[tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Oct 12 22:07:47 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 3:52 PM, Edgar S wrote:
> I was also left hanging when tormail shut down. I've found one that
> meets my needs. Based in Switzerland. It is Tor-friendly for both
> signups and webmail.  Has both an onion hidden address,
> http://bitmailendavkbec.onion, and an open address, bitmessage.ch. Free.
> The only drawback is that you have to accept an assigned username that
> is a long string of random characters.
>
> Another possibility is URSSMail  http://urssmail.org/
> http://f3ljvgyyujmnfhvi.onion.  Based in Russia and Brazil. Neither are
> very friendly to the NSA. It seems to have some problems currently. I
> thought I had created an account, but then I couldn't log into it. But
> it lets you assign your own username, and is free, although BTC
> donations are requested. As I write, the hidden service is down.
I guess you went thru part of the signup process to see it assigns a
random string as your acct username / email address?
It told me the registration was "having problems."  How long was the
random assigned name?

That'd be a bit tough sending mail to general people.  But, if you want
privacy...
I wonder if there's an option to enter a name that goes in front of the
email user name, like most clients or even ISPs allow?

I guess it'd be fine for typical mail, but the entire size per message
limit is 2 MB.