[tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Oct 12 19:48:13 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 1:48 PM, Antispam 06 wrote:
> On 24.05.2013 00:50, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>> On 23.05.2013 22:23, Nathan Suchy wrote:
>>> I'm looking for email providers with decent support, a good amount of
>>> storage, and that protect your privacy. Do you know any?
>> In the end, for plaintext email, you always have to "trust" the
>> operator. There's valid reasons for going with Google for some
>> activities. For others, it might be better to take a look at
>> https://we.riseup.net/riseuphelp+en/radical-servers .
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/EmailProviderComparison is
>> not very helpful.
>> http://www.thesimplecomputer.info/articles/email-for-privacy.html is
>> another older list.
> Things are looking bad. Lavabit is out. Fastmail is paid only. Nothing
> wrong with paid, only it beats the anonymity. Vmail.me has closed the
> gates. And it has big problems anyway: gmail bounces all my emails.
> Openmailbox has closed its gates. The system works well. The
> registration is off. Tormail is shutdown and unreachable.
>
> Even large guys changed lately. Lycos imposes a SMS ID with only a
> handful of countries in its list. Gmail imposes the SMS, even if their
> list is far greater. Gmx and Mail refuse account creation. They say it's
> tech problems, but it looks like Tor allergy. And Mail.com is a mask for
> more services. Hushmail shows only paid plans. Cyber-rights mask gave me
> access, but hushmail said it's suspended and gave me a chance to pay.

If you're looking for privacy, Gmail is the wrong place.  Even if you
could create an acct using TBB (doubtful), they scan everything -  as do
many others.
You can encrypt your more private messages, or attach encrypted files.

Yahoo may still let you create an acct w/ TBB.  In the US, you may have
to use a US exit relay & may have to use one each time you log in - or
face the security questions, or complete login denial. Not the best, but...

Here's an older comparison of some "more privacy conscious" providers, I
did early this yrs.  Some data is no doubt outdated by now.
http://bayfiles.net/file/XYO1/iKZYCo/Email_provider_comparison.pdf