[tor-talk] Failed Startpage connection problem found_need solution [Was: still unable to reach StartPage or Ixquick]

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Oct 10 18:10:04 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 11:26 AM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> I assume? most users of WINDOWS TBB 2.3.25-12/13 that have read of my
> problem, have recently tried Startpage, Ixquick, DDG - & not really
> having any issues?
>
> Would Tor message log posted here have anything useful that more
> experienced users may spot a problem?
> I looked at logs (w/ Debug, error, warning, notice turned on) for FAILED
> connection to Startpage /  Ixquick & Check.torproject VS. good
> connection to other sites.  Nothing obvious -  others may see something.
HOLY CRAP, TOR MAN.  I discovered it's some change (update?) in
Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, blocking access to certain sites, like
the Tor checkpage, Ixquick, Startpage.  But it doesn't affect vast
majority of sites in TBB.

SPECIFICALLY, it seems KIS's "monitoring" of HTTPS port 443 that blocks
certain sites using HTTPS, in TBB -ONLY-, NOT in Fx.  Just because it
monitors certain ports, (normally) it wouldn't block *EVERYTHING* using
those ports, unless there's a "setting" in TBB causing a problem, that's
NOT in Fx.  Both have HTTPS everywhere (UNchecking "force HTTPS on
Startpage" made no change); both browsers have NoScript.

In regular Fx 24, KIS is still monitoring HTTPS port 443 & Startpage, et
al., load just fine.
So it's a *TBB / Tor connection* & port 443 that KIS has a problem with.

Guessing here - seems like a problem w/ TBB "triggering" KIS to block it
on port 443.  Fx 24 is NOT blocked on port 443.

I can / will go on the Kaspersky forum on this, but some here may have
good solutions.
* Tor / TBB is already in KIS's "Trusted Group," so no problem there.

* Don't (think I) want to turn off ALL port 443 monitoring; causes no
problem in Fx & probably should be monitored??

* Don't want to whitelist (not monitor) *ALL*  TBB activity in KIS -
takes away all protection.

Must be something specific on -HOW- TBB accesses port 443 VS. regular
Fx, that KIS sees as a problem.