[tor-talk] which 3.0a4 package is for Windows

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Oct 9 04:24:51 UTC 2013

On 10/8/2013 6:13 PM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>> Is there a reason even stable Win versions never reference the OS in
>> file names?
> .exe is a Windows(-only) extension. I agree that the OS could be added
> to the file name to avoid confusion.

Thanks, but a question / comment.
Except in this case, the file / package isn't an executable - it's a
compressed archive.  The "exe" may be used here to indicate a Windows
build, but it's just a zipped (.7z) file.  I'm sure lots of new users
are confused by the .exe, in spite of instructions.

Technically, shouldn't the Windows packages have a compressed archive
extension, like the other platforms?
Besides, emailing a Windows TBB package w/ .exe extension can create
problems.  Why not call it what it is?