[tor-talk] best distro to use Tor

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Sat Oct 5 10:27:33 UTC 2013

krishna e bera:
> On 13-10-04 09:01 PM, adrelanos wrote:
>>>  * Is Ubuntu a good option as a guest (and maybe use here the TBB from
>>>    time to time)? So far is the only Linux distro that I've used
>>
>> Ditch Ubuntu:
>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
>
> Those problems are in the bloated default desktop called Unity or ONE,
> perhaps meant as Canonical's answer to Windows 8.
> There are plenty other desktop interfaces to use: lxde, flux, cinnamon,
> xfce, ratpoison, ...

Isn't such behavior by Canonical reason to no longer trust them or at
least to see, that they're not at all interested in privacy? If that
follows form their their behavior, why use Ubuntu?

We don't have very secure/trustworthy/etc. operating systems yet. I
mean, there are great distributions doing a great job, offering an
awesome product, free as in freedom and I enjoy using them. But security
is still in its infancy. Deterministic builds are far away, there is no
way to proof vulnerability-freeness, most/much used programming
languages (C and C++) are "difficult to write safe code" (just quoting),
easy to open up vulnerabilities by mistake and possible to hide subtle
backdoors hidden in plain source code as vulnerability.

The most sensible thing in this losing battle is to necessarily trust
distributions over time due to their reputation and assuming they're in
for the right reasons. For Canonical, I think it's safe to say, they're
not sharing a compatible mindset.