[tor-talk] Silk Road taken down by FBI

Phil Mocek phil-lists at mocek.org
Fri Oct 4 04:15:00 UTC 2013

krishna e bera:
> If the FBI had to use a subpoena it means the VPN provider wasnt
> cooperating, but was forced by legal means to hand over the info.
>
> It would be unrealistic to expect any provider in any country to destroy
> subscriber info after they had received a notice from a judge ordering
> it to be turned over to police.

I don't know which is relevant in this case, but please note that unlike
judicial subpoenas, [administrative subpoenas][1] in the United States
are not issued by judges.

 [1]:
<http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/08/administrative-subpoenas/all/>
      ("We Don’t Need No Stinking Warrant: The Disturbing, Unchecked
Rise of the Administrative Subpoena," by David Kravets, 2012-08-28)

--
Phil Mocek
http://mocek.org